This year the theme for my annual Saturday Morning Cartoon Party was… Dungeons and Dragons! I included cartoons in which the characters played D&D (in some version or another) but also some cartoons that were set in a fantasy world similar to D&D (Visionaries, Gummi Bears, Korgoth of Barbaria). It’s a long list and there were actually some cartoons on theme that I didn’t include due to time constraints (Voltron “Monsters and Mana”; My Little Pony “Dungeons & Discord”
Here’s the final schedule:
Visionaries “The Age of Magic Begins”; Reboot “Wizards, Warriors and a Word from Our Sponsor”; She-Ra and the Princesses of Power “Roll With It”; Home: Adventures With Tip and Oh “Lords & Lasers”; TMNT “Mazes and Mutants”; Teen Titans Go “Riding the Dragon”; Gummi Bears “A New Beginning”; Adventure Time “Dungeon”; Dexter’s Laboratory “D&DD” ; Wander Over Yonder “The Hero”; Gravity Falls “Dungeons, Dungeons and More Dungeons”‘ Spongebob “Dunces and Dragons”; Amazing World of Gumball “The Master”; Dungeons and Dragons “Day of the Dungeon Master”‘ The Superfriends “Lord of Middle Earth”‘ Regular Show “But I Have A Receipt!”; Harmonquest “The Quest Begins”‘ Korgoth of Barbaria “The Golden Goblin of the Fourth Age”‘ Home Movies “Renaissance”
- Here’s the cereal buffet!
At about the halfway point I did trivia. Here are the questions – how did you do???
- In the Dexter’s Laboratory episode “D&DD”, Dexter’s character is Hodo the Furry Footed Burrower. To what D&D race is this a reference?
2. In the Futurama episode “How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back” which iconic D&D monster guarded a corridor in the Central Bureaucracy Headquarters?
3. In the episode “Mazes & Mutants” the ninja turtles LARP in the sewer tunnels, perhaps an homage to which 1982 movie starring Tom Hanks?
4. The classes of the children in the D&D cartoon are: ranger, barbarian, magician, thief, cavalier and acrobat. Only one of these is a class that’s available to play in the Basic Set of D&D (1977). Name that class.
5. IN the D&D cartoon, Venger has a sycophantic servant. The type of creature and the name it goes by are the same two words. What are they?
6. In the Adventure Time episode “Dungeon” Finn comes across an ooze that resembles which classic 6-sided monster from D&D?
7. In the Simpsons episode “Home Goes to College” Homer plays D&D with his new geek friends. His character was slain by what creature/race?
VOICE ACTOR SECTION:
8. In the 2012 TMNT series, Raphael is voiced by an actor who famously played a hobbit on the silver screen. a) Who is the actor? AND b) What is the name of the hobbit?
9. In Futurama episode #216 “anthology of interest 1” which creator of D&D guest starred?
10. Zummi Gummi is voiced by Paul Winchell, He is better known for voicing which cartoon tiger?
11. Eric the Cavalier was voiced by Donny Most, who is best known for playing “Ralph Malf” on which live action TV sitcom?
12. Brendan Small co-created Home Movies. he went on to create and provide voice and music for which cartoon series featuring the heavy metal band “Dethklok”?
13. Name the comedian who guested on the premiere of Harmonquest who also voiced Mr Peanutbutter on Bojack Horseman, Deputy mayor Cunningham on Bob’s Burgers, and Gladstone Gander on the new Ducktales.
14. This actor voiced Uni and Tiamat in the D&D cartoon, but also voiced Elminster and Korax in the Baldur’s Gate video game. Who dis?
Hint: he is probably the most prolific voice actor in cartoon history – his most recent imdb role is in the 2020 film Scoob
Dirk the Daring, Princess Daphne and the evil dragon Singe are characters in a 1983 arcade game that went on to become a short-lived saturday morning cartoon. What is the name?
In Stranger Things season 1, what is the name they give the monster which they borrow from the D&D game they’re playing
- 3MAZES AND MONSTERS
- SHADOW DEMON
- GELATINOUS CUBE
- A: SEAN ASTIN; B: SAMWISE GAMGEE
- GARY GYGAX
- HAPPY DAYS
- PAUL F TOMPKINS
- FRANK WELKER
- TIE BREAKERS Dirk the Daring, Princess Daphne and the evil dragon Singe are characters in a 1983 arcade game DRAGON’S LAIR
- In Stranger Things season 1, the monster name which they borrow from D&D: DEMOGORGON