Here’s a critical thinking test:
Read this article on how using Facebook and Twitter make you a bad person. Don’t have time? Okay, I’ll give you the gist in small, edited quotes:
- Using Twitter and Facebook could harm moral values, as they don’t allow time for compassion or admiration, scientists have warned.
- emotions linked to moral sense are slow to respond to news and events and have failed to keep up with the modern world
- If things are happening too fast you may not ever fully experience emotions about other people’s psychological states and that would have implications for your morality
- Using brain imaging they found that humans can sort information very quickly and respond in fractions of a second to signs of physical pain in others, but admiration and compassion take much longer.
- In a media culture in which violence and suffering becomes an endless show, be it in fiction or in infotainment, indifference to the vision of human suffering gradually sets in
Now, how much of that do you believe, and why? Answers tomorrow.